Sunday, March 6, 2016

We Need to Raise Awareness on Audism


According to Tom Humphries, audism is complex definition that puts a negative, prejudge, oppressive attitude toward deaf people and develops discrimination based on a person's ability, or lack of ability, to hear. This is because people who are not deaf have not heard of audism and may not realize that this form of discrimination exists. This term was added in addition to the many different forms of oppression, the others being racism, sexism and ageism. It also means that people who could speak and hear, or have excellent in english skills, are superior to others. I would say most Deaf people  have experienced audism, because many people are ignorant when it comes to audism in a hearing family, the government, doctors, or religion because most people are not educated what audism means. Audism was coined in 1970’s, so many deaf people don’t know what audism means today. Deaf people often have hard time identifying audism, so my blog will raise more awareness on audism.

         Paul Kiel, American Sign Language Instructor/Deaf Culture &History Lecturer, Quincy University. 

My earliest memory of is audism when I was five, my mother often took me to go to many churches, where they would take out an image of the Virgin Mary crying tears of oil, and then I would be told a story about the Virgin Mary's struggles, that has drawn between forty to fifty of visitors to the Church in Iraq and Syria. Next,  my mother would take the oil and pour it in each of my ears and she prayed for my deafness to be fixed.  This made me feel uncomfortable because of the many hearing people that still looked at me if I could possibly now be able to hear, and then i would be seen as a "real" "fixed" person who could be involved in the hearing world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment